Itinerary for the Department of Conservation Summer Programme Trips to Maud Island 2024
January Sat 13 / Sun 14 / Sat 27 / Sun 28, 2024
Travelling with “PELORUS TOURS" on our vessel - TOROA
Leaving 9am, Return approx. 6:30pm. Havelock Commercial Passenger Jetty C Pier
Skipper: Gary Orchard
Before departing Havelock, passengers will have a DOC officer inspect shoes and bags as part of the new bio-security measures.
We will leave Havelock at 9am sharp, cruising down the beautiful Pelorus Sounds ,visiting a mussel farm. Then onto Dillon Bell where there are nesting Shags and the Gannet colony at Waimaru.(weather permitting)
From Waimaru we will travel to Maud Island, the Tom Shand Scientific Reserve for the guided tour.
This involves a 40 min walk (return) along a relatively level old farm track, to a WW2 gun emplacement.
On Maud Island there are many rare, endangered species, and fauna species indigenous to the island. Some were introduced which require varying degrees of management. The rangers will present to visitors a number of species which include: skinks, geckos, rare insect species, the Maud Is. frog, land snails, scarab beetles; flax weevils; the click beetle and the Giant Weta unique to Cook Strait. Every effort will be made to obtain a selection of species (weather and wildlife permitting) but due to the cryptic nocturnal nature of most species visitors will not see them in their natural habitat but will be able to view in containers and some species handle them. The main threats are weed and animal pests, and the spread of a Chitrid Virus (threat to frogs). Transfer of the disease may occur with dirty clothing, moist dirt or faecal material. D.O.C. staff will reserve the right to inspect clothing before each trip takes place.
Please read the attached DOC quarantine flyer carefully.
Maori Occupation sites are on the island, which was farmed continuously by Europeans from 1867 to the late 1970's when the Shand family sold the island to the Crown for public ownership.
The Department of Conservation, with two resident wardens, is undertaking this careful management programme aimed at conserving populations of many endangered species.
While still on the Island you may be asked to undertake a simple conservation task to help preserve this unique island and its wildlife. Then, after boarding your vessel we make the return journey to Havelock. We hope you will enjoy your day.
Complimentary Tea and Coffee served aboard boat - Morning/ Afternoon/Lunchtime - Bring your own lunch or a $15 packed lunch can be arranged with prior notice (bring own water bottle).
This is an outdoor activity so please bring a sunhat, warm clothing, wet weather gear and suitable clean footwear for walking. There will be a full commentary from your Skipper aboard during the trip.
Conditions for landing on MAUD ISLAND are:
- Smoking prohibited on the island.
- Please ensure all footwear, bags and clothing are free and clear from foreign soils . Footwear will be cleansed by walking on a disinfectant pad and inspected in Havelock prior to entry onto Maud Island.
- No littering allowed and all personal rubbish to be removed.
- To prevent pests (i.e. mice) being accidentally taken to Maud Island no baggage of any sort to go ashore. i.e. cameras welcome, but not camera bags.
- No flora and/or fauna, or wildlife to be taken off the island.
- Full names, date of birth, physical addresses & phone numbers of all visitors are required as part of the D.O.C. permitting requirements and security purposes, as the island is a closed scientific reserve under Reserves Act 1977. Passports required for overseas visitors This information will be forwarded to a D.O.C. office before each visit and verified before access is allowed or some access maybe declined.
N.B. Car parking fees may apply Havelock Marina.
Bookings deemed confirmed on full payment. Pelorus Tours reserve the right to change or cancel Tours in adverse weather conditions. In the event of a bad weather cancellation we will book you on another trip, if not suitable refunds will be issued. If unable to come on your date you may on-sell your ticket but names & addresses must be advised as per DOC permit conditions.